Friday, November 26, 2010

First Thanksgiving Dinner!

Every year for Thanksgiving I have always liked to help my mom, but always at my convenience and never too much responsibility! I never wanted to be the one to screw something up too badly. I love cooking and am pretty confident but a 20 plus pound turkey has always been beyond my stretch until this year! Cole had told me that he was getting so excited for turkey at the beginning of November and I just brushed it off and said yep in about 3 weeks! haha Friday came around and we were grocery shopping and he comes out of no where with a turkey saying can we please get this?! UGH I had no excuse... I have Saturday Sunday and Mondays off and for some reason I can never back down from a challenge so I said yes. Then he decides he wanted the bigger bird because it's a better deal! We ended up coming home with an 18 pound turkey and while I have wanted to I have never even roasted a chicken let alone a HUGE turkey! Saturday and Sunday the birds home was my kitchen sink thawing out and reminding me every time I looked at it that I was supposed to cook this thing! I think I drove my mom crazy with questions and for some reason questions that I already knew the answers too! The nerves were definitely getting the best of me....

Monday came around and we had Kaders 6 month appointment at 10 am in Bellingham with the AMAZING Dr. Wisner! I just adore that man and so does Kade! He gets an automatic smile as soon as he sees him every time and we have really only been there a total of 4 times. Doc let us know that our little man is still off the charts and looking extremely healthy which we can't thank God enough for! 95th in length and 90th in weight! Way too go BoogerBear! The dreaded nurse came in and gave the shots, we screamed and then went and saw Dad at work for a little bit :) Cole hates not making it to any appointment so it's kind of a must! The man did make it to every little appointment during the pregnancy and everyone for Kade except for the last two and I think it's killing him.


Anyway, I had a lot planned for my day so we got going home and I ran to my moms to grab her turkey pan (beings I don't own one for that big of a bird) and as soon as we got home seasoned the bird and got him in the oven! Fingers were crossed as well! Cole wanted turkey SO bad and I think any woman wants to impress their man haha so the pressure was on! In between baisting I was setting up our Christmas tree and dealing with a fussy baby. This is getting EXTREMELY long so to wrap it up the whole dinner turned out amazing! I was so relieved and excited and really it was SO simple. I was just getting overwhelmed with the whole idea but it was actually really enjoyable! Christmas music was playing, our Christmas tree was lit, I had candles going and dinner couldn't have been better! One of the BEST winter nights I've had in a long time! Such a good family night :)



Turkey.... Stuffing..... Corn....Real deal mashed potatoes and gravy! I was pretty impressed with myself! Can't wait for next year and now that I know I can do it I will actually enjoy the whole process with zero stress! :)





Devoured... Cole wasn't kidding because I really didn't even eat that much!

No comments:

Post a Comment